Mindfulness Based Burnout Recovery Retreats
DON’T RISK ALL YOU’VE INVESTED IN YOUR CAREER SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU HAVEN’T GOT TIME TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF
Our Mindfulness Based Burnout Recovery Retreats are designed to take you “off the grid” for complete time-out to invest in your own health. Rebuild your inner reserves of vital energy so you don’t become just another “burned out” professional.
Why is this retreat so important?
Statistics show that at least 65% of professionals suffer burnout at some point throughout their working lives. In particular, those working in the human service industries are most at risk – doctors and nurses, psychologists and counsellors, teachers, paramedics and emergency services workers, and many more who care for others in their professional roles.
Just consider this for a moment…if 65% of people in your workplace suffered broken limbs or an infectious disease whilst on the job, there would be a massive outcry around the globe.
But because burnout is well concealed, creeps up so insidiously, and is often covered up due to shame, we don’t even realise it’s there until someone “drops”.
Burnout is a hidden epidemic in the workforce. And whilst our employers have an obligation to address this along with other health and safety risks, it’s also up to each of us individually to protect ourselves and take steps to recover when the symptoms set in.
Find out if you are at risk for burnout…complete this Burnout Questionnaire. What are you doing now to avoid this insidious risk, how well is it working for you, and what could you do better?
About our retreats
We offer two styles of retreat – come over in your own time, individually or with one or two colleagues, and we’ll tailor an exclusive program just for you. Or join one of our group retreats held several times throughout the year, with a small group of professionals sharing a common purpose – to tackle burnout head on. And once a year we offer a special retreat just for team leaders and CEO’s who want to design a burnout-free organisation.
- Personal Retreat – any time throughout the year
- Short retreat (3 days)
- Full retreat (5 days)
- Group Retreat (open) – next group retreats are:
- Ex-Sydney flying on Mondays, Fridays and during Oct – Dec 2017 on Sundays
- 4 – 11 December 2017
- 12 – 19 February 2018
- 21 – 28 May 2018
- Ex-Brisbane flying on Tuesdays and Saturdays
- 18 – 25 November 2017
- 4 – 11 March 2018
- 17 – 24 June 2018
- Ex-Sydney flying on Mondays, Fridays and during Oct – Dec 2017 on Sundays
What happens at the retreats?
We want to make the whole experience simple and easy for you, so we make all the arrangements, all you have to do is get to the Departure Lounge and relax for the short flight across to Norfolk Island. We’ll meet you at the airport and bring you to your home-away-from-home, “Highlands”, a luxurious newly renovated lodge surrounded by 5 acres of lush sub-tropical bushland literally right outside your window.
We greet you with a delicious sample of our island liqueurs (or non-alcoholic alternative), followed by a short orientation drive to key points on the island. On your first night, we’ve arranged a welcome dinner at one of our superb local restaurants, before we let you settle down for the night and enjoy…complete silence! We guarantee you’ll sleep like a baby.
Each morning, you’ll be woken to the sound of birdsong. Join a morning yoga or meditation session, or take a brisk walk up our country lane to the National Park, before we start our workshops.
The workshop schedule provides you with a mix of structured activities to learn more about neuroscience of burnout and resilience, your own risk and protective factor profile, and tools for building personal resilience. Each session includes experiential activities to deepen your self-awareness, with a sampling of guided visualisations and Mindfulness meditations. Throughout the retreat, we work with you to put together a self-care plan using evidence-based strategies for promoting mental fitness and resilience, the cornerstones of burnout prevention. This unique program draws on Positive Psychology, Mindfulness, and Neuroscience to ensure you take away the latest tools we know will help you stay at your best into the future.
You will learn how to:
- Easily integrate simple mindfulness exercises into a busy work day
- Change unhelpful thinking habits that take you down the slippery slope
- Retrain your brain to optimise good feelings and resolve bad feelings more quickly
- Put more balance back into your life
- Develop your own burnout prevention self-care plan
Is the retreat all about learning?
Not at all! We know that you will gain as much from the retreat by taking time out to have fun as you will from the formal sessions. So we include plenty of free time to enjoy the many activities available on Norfolk Island, such as exploring the world heritage Kingston and Arthurs Vale Historic Area (KAVHA) soaking up the history of Australia’s oldest convict settlement, taking a round of golf on the spectacular 9-hole course overlooking the Pacific Ocean, hiking the spectacular trails through our National Park, joining daily tours exploring the island’s culture and cottage industries, swimming or snorkelling in our enclosed beach at Emily Bay, or simply hanging out with the friendly locals.
And if that’s not enough, we also include in the retreat package a luxurious massage, yoga class, guided rainforest bushwalk, and watercolour painting lesson.
You have the chance to schedule some valuable one-on-one time with the group leader who will help you personally optimise your learning and apply changes for an improved life. In the evenings, we regroup for an informal discussion designed to further explore personal insights and intentions gleaned from the day’s experiences – some great ideas have come from these sharing sessions.
The full package includes:
- Return airfares from Brisbane or Sydney including all taxes & fees and airport transfer
- Half-day island tour
- Self-catering accommodation at the luxurious newly renovated “Highlands” on Norfolk
- Daily workshops to deepen your understanding of burnout and how it affects you, along with Mindfulness strategies and meditations with the theme of burnout recovery and prevention
- Option 1:
- 2 x 3-hour workshops and daily Mindfulness meditations (CPD = 6 hours)
- Option 2:
- 5 x 3-hour workshops and daily Mindfulness meditations (CPD = 15 hours)
- Option 1:
- Extra experiences to help you fully unwind mindfully – yoga class, watercolour painting class, massage, and a guided bush walk through the sub-tropical national park.
OPTIONAL BONUS – 3 x 1-hour individual mentoring sessions @ $75 each to use either during the retreat or afterwards (via videoconference or phone) to help you focus on developing and putting into practice a personal self-care and burnout-prevention plan.
Includes airfares, accommodation, and Mindfulness workshops only:
- Individual 4-day retreat = $1,665
- Group 4-day retreat = $1,345 (min. 3 people)
Includes airfares, accommodation, Mindfulness workshops plus 4 additional experiences:
- Individual 7-day Retreat = $2,830
- Group 7-day Retreat = $2,530
Air New Zealand Flights:
- Sydney – Norfolk Island: Flying on Mondays, Fridays and during Mar, Apr, Oct – Dec 2017 on Sundays
- Brisbane – Norfolk Island: Flying on Tuesdays and Saturdays
Terms and Conditions
- Deposit $600 required at time of booking to secure airfares (non-refundable)
- Installment plan on request for the balance
- Prices quoted are for single occupancy per room, prices for couples available on request
- Prices are for self-catering, Bed-and-Breakfast or full catering prices available
- Travel insurance is strongly recommended in case of medical emergency
Why Norfolk Island?
Norfolk Island is only a little over 2-hours flying time from Brisbane or Sydney. From the moment you land, its breathtaking beauty captivates our visitors, imbuing a sense of having stepped back into bygone times when life was simple and we had time to breathe. Norfolk Island is bathed in a remarkable history. Discovered by Captain Cook prior to finding the Australian mainland, it was set up as a convict colony twice with some of Australia’s most brutal governors before being settled in 1856 by the remaining descendants of the infamous Mutiny on the Bounty led by Fletcher Christian – 194 folk who had lived in almost complete isolation for some 20 years on Pitcairn Island.
Today, many locals still carry the names of the original mutineers, and retain a strong cultural tradition of living sustainably off their island whilst preserving their unique language and culture. Whilst exploring our piece of paradise, you can enjoy art and craft tours showcasing the remarkable talent of folk who “make do”, enjoy fabulous culinary delights made with zero-food-miles produce, immerse yourself in the island’s remarkable history displayed in our numerous museums, swim with the tropical fish and snorkel through the coral wonderland of Emily Bay, or hike through our serene National Park and perhaps even meet our famous Green Parrots.
There’s more to Norfolk Island, come and explore this secret gem right outside your front door!